Monday, June 25, 2012

Setting up a Lyx template to write a Caltech thesis

I wrote my thesis using Lyx, a wonderful Latex-based document processor that made organization and citations easy. I used Ling Li's Caltech thesis template. Here are the notes to myself I made while installing it:

Getting Lyx to work with Caltech thesis

  1. install Lyx using Synaptic
  2. From http://www.work.caltech.edu/~ling/tips/cit_thesis.html download
    1. cit_thesis.cls
    2. cit_logo.eps*
    3. cit_logo.pdf*
    4. cit_ntheorem.std
  3. Run
    sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex
    sudo cp Downloads/cit_thesis.cls /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/
    sudo cp Downloads/cit_logo.eps /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/
    sudo cp Downloads/cit_logo.pdf /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/
    sudo cp Downloads/cit_ntheorem.std /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/
    sudo texhash
    
  4. open Lyx
  5. run Tools>Reconfigure
  6. close Lyx
  7. reopen Lyx
  8. run File>New from Template
  9. choose cit_thesis.lyx
*Later I actually removed these files and replaced them with the current preferred Caltech logo from http://styleguide.caltech.edu/logo/logogallery. Then I copied this into the latex directory:
sudo cp cit_logo.png /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/
sudo texhash

I can't remember if I needed to change format to .png or not.

No comments: